Pressure Washing Mental Illness (Without So Much Pressure)

My "President's Message" for the June Quarterly Newsletter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness Jacksonville


Not long ago, I noticed myself doing something peculiar while pressure washing my stone patio. Every time the dirty water began to pool up, I'd compulsively wash it away with the wand.  I’d try my best to move on to the next cluster of crusty pavers, but another pool would form, and I’d have to start spraying it out of the way. It got a little crazy!


My recovery from chronic depression has been like that at times. Just when I’d start making progress on changing a specific harmful thought or behavior, my attention would wander to something big and overwhelming like the job I dreaded, the disconnect I seemed to be having with God, or wondering if my misery would ever go away. I just wanted to wash it all away right then and there – and would even attempt to do it with no result.


As we begin to get the hang of recovery and see results, we gain patience and realize that stirring up dirt is part of the process. We can relax or even celebrate knowing that the suspended emotions of sadness, anger, fear, or despair are no longer sticking to us in places that cause harm. Before we go to bed or wake up, we may gently and peacefully rinse away the cloudy pools through quiet time, meditation, or prayer -- and refocus our attention to working steadily on the stubborn spots that remain.


One of the best ways to stay focused is by meeting with others who are going through something similar – especially when the discussion is facilitated in a way that keeps us positive and productive. That’s what goes on in NAMI support groups, as thousands have discovered.


It gives me such great joy to know that I am part of an alliance of people who value each other – friends who don’t worry about sharing their dirt or appearing like they have it all together. In fact, we thrive on imperfections and see them as essential. 


Together, our journeys become less exhausting and frustrating as the pools become clearer, we see our challenges for what they really are, and we gradually let in the light of day. Many gain a sense of momentum and gratitude as they set and achieve realistic goals and share them with others.


Thank you to every person who takes this journey with us as part of our alliance, and to the staff and volunteers who meet folks where they are.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chronic Ambivalence (And how to get unstuck)